Note: The CME Shop's machining, welding and fabrication services has just moved to its new, permanent location in the basement of the South Academic Building. The room number is B-53, found at the North-East corner of the building on the basement level.
What services does the CME Shop provide?
- Machining, Welding, Fabrication
- Instrumentation, Electronics
- Aides in the design of new experiments
- Constructs equipment for those experiments
- Repairs existing laboratory equipment
- Modifies existing laboratory equipment
Who does the shop serve?
- Researchers, faculty and graduate students in all departments at the University of Alberta
What do CME Shop technicians require to create specialized equipment?
Any one of the following:
- Computer Assisted Design (CAD) drawings
- Hand-drawn sketches
- Verbal description of required equipment
- Schematics - Electrical drawings
- Block diagrams
What specialists are employed in the CME Shop?
- Journeyman machinists
- Journeyman welders
- Journeyman carpenters
- Electronics Engineering Technologists
What’s the process for starting on your project?
1. The client fills out an online submission form
2. A CME Shop technician conducts an interview regarding your equipment needs:
Some sample questions –
Can your materials be described as hot? Toxic? Abrasive?
Is this a vessel designed for an oven?
Will the equipment be submerged in a liquid? If yes, what kind of liquid?
Is data acquisition and/or control needed?
3. The Shop technicians may need to visit the lab where the equipment is required to finalize details
4. Construction of the equipment
5. Set up in the lab if needed
Who do I contact for any additional questions?
For machining, welding or fabrication inquiries, please call 780-492-3393 or email: email@example.com
For instrumentation or electronics inquiries, please call 587-985-3253 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The shop charge out rates are as follows:
- Engineering Faculty Affiliation $50.00/hr
- External to Engineering Affiliation $75.00/hr
Mon - Fri, 8 am - 4 pm
Machining, Welding, Fabrication
Room B-53, South Academic Building (SAB)
Instrumentation and Electronics
Room 2 - 125 & 2 - 129, Chemical and Materials Engineering Building (CME)
Find a technician